Wrexham Council homepage


Life Events: Registering to vote the new way

Moved house? Nearly 18? Not on the Register?

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the Register of Electors.

After a recent change in the law, names can be added throughout the year.

You have to sign your own form; someone else cannot do it for you.

When you send us your form we will include you on our monthly list of amendments.

Any elector can then object to your name being added to the register. If this happens we will write to you.

If your application is not objected to, we will change your details within 2 to 6 weeks of receiving your form. We will write to tell you when your application is allowed.

We will tell the Electoral Registration Officer for your old address that you have moved, so that your name can be removed from that register. People who live at two homes (including students) are allowed to register at both. If you do not want to be removed from your other address please explain why on your form.

There are special rules about names being added to the voters list during an election period. Because of these you may not be able to vote at that election if you are added during this time.