Staying Safe Online - A Guide for Parents and Carers
There are some great resources for children to help them discover, create and connect with other children worldwide. The internet is useful, fun and educational. Used safely, it's a valuable tool.
Some tips to stay safe online:
- Keep the computer in a room where the whole family can use it.
- Discuss and set reasonable rules and guidelines for computer use with your children and keep them near the computer as a reminder.
- Inform your children that they should NEVER give out personal details (name, address, passwords or email address) or photographs unless you and your child know and trust the person concerned.
- Never let your children meet someone they have met over the internet without your permission and only then when you or a responsible adult can be present.
- Let your children know they can talk to you if they feel uncomfortable or worried about something they have seen or read on the internet. Reassure them that it's not their fault.
- Learn as much as you can about the internet and the services it provides. Try to use and understand the sites your children use and get to know their online friends as you would their other friends.
- If you children receives emails, attachments or downloaded files from people or organisations they or you don't know or trust, get them to delete them straight away. They may contain viruses or nasty messages.
Wrexham County Borough Council is not responsible for the content of external website.