The Complaints team is not able to address a complaint regarding the conduct of a councillor.

All councillors at Wrexham County Borough Council are subject to a Code of Conduct.

Informal complaints

Concerns about a councillor’s behaviour may be raised with our Monitoring Officer in the first instance: 

Monitoring Officer
Wrexham County Borough Council
LL11 1AY

Formal complaints

Formal complaints that a councillor may have breached the Code of Conduct should be addressed to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. 

Examples of ways in which a councillor may break the Code of Conduct include:

  • behaving in a way that negatively affects their authority’s reputation
  • using their position unfairly to gain an advantage for themselves or someone else – or to do someone else down
  • improper use of their authority’s resources
  • failing to declare an interest
  • bullying behaviour
  • failing to treat everybody equally
  • revealing confidential information about individuals without good reason

The Ombudsman will normally only investigate when there is evidence that a serious breach may have been committed. Legislation sets out that only when the Ombudsman has decided to formally investigate and report to the council can the matter come before the council’s Ethics and Standards Committee.

If you feel that the Code may have been breached you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman online.

The Ombudsman’s website contains explanations on the standards of behaviour expected by the Code and the basis on which the Ombudsman decides whether or not to investigate a complaint.

Related information