About the types of elections that take place in Wales (some take place across all of the UK but others take place only in Wales or in specific areas).

County council elections (local elections)

Local councils provide services and facilities in your area. Local councillors oversee the work of the council, and set the strategies and priorities. Wrexham has 56 county councillors, representing 49 electoral divisions.

County council elections are held every five years. When you vote in local elections, you vote for councillors to represent your ward (a specific area or community).

You can vote for as many candidates as there are councillor vacancies. The ballot paper will explain how many candidates you can vote for.

Town and community council elections

Town or community councils are the most local level of government in England and Wales. They aim to improve the quality of life in their local area by helping to maintain facilities.

Elections for town or community councils take place every five years.

UK Parliamentary elections (general elections)

The UK Parliament represents the people of the United Kingdom. In general elections you can vote for your local Member of Parliament (MP).

Each MP represents a part of the UK called a 'constituency' or 'seat'. In Wrexham there are two represented constituencies; Wrexham and Clwyd South.

General elections are held every five years. At a general election you have one vote to choose a candidate to represent your constituency in the House of Commons.

Senedd elections

The Senedd (Welsh Parliament) represents the people of Wales. There are 60 elected Members of the Senedd (MSs) and you are represented by five of them. One MS represents your Senedd constituency and the other four all represent your region.

Wrexham has two MSs, one each for the Clwyd South and Wrexham constituencies. There are also four regional members for the North Wales electoral region.

Elections for the the Senedd take place every five years. When you vote in a Senedd election you have two votes – one to elect your constituency member and one to elect your regional member.

Police and Crime Commissioner elections

Police and Crime Commissioners (PCCs) make sure that the local police in their area are meeting the needs of the community.

There are 41 areas across England and Wales with a PCC. Each area has one commissioner.

The Commissioner for North Wales is responsible for holding the Chief Constable and North Wales Police to account on your behalf.

Elections for PCCs take place every four years. The ballot paper will list the PCC candidates, with two columns for marking your first choice and second choice.


A referendum is a vote on a question about a particular issue or policy. Usually you are asked to vote either ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

It means that you can make a direct decision on a question rather than letting your elected representative decide on your behalf.

Related links