If a business makes, prepares or handles food of animal origin for supply to other businesses, then the food business and its activities in most circumstances must be approved by our Food Safety team.

What counts as food of animal origin?

Food of animal origin includes:

  • Meat and poultry (fresh, frozen or cooked)
  • Meat products (such as pies, sausage rolls, faggots, black pudding and bacon)
  • Raw or partially cooked minced meat or meat preparations (such as sausages, burgers, marinated raw meat and kebab meat)
  • Fish and fish products (such as fish fingers, prawns, lobsters, crabs and crayfish – whether dead or alive)
  • Live bivalve molluscs
  • Ready meals containing fish or meat
  • Milk and dairy products (such as butter, cream, cheese, yoghurt, ice cream)
  • Frogs legs and snails
  • Rendered animal fats and other animal by-products (such as gelatine, collagen, stomachs, bladders and intestines)
  • Honey and blood

Standards required for approval

To obtain approval your food business will need to meet certain hygiene standards, set out in both of the following:

  • Regulation (EC) No. 853/2004 Hygiene Rules for Food of Animal Origin 
  • Regulation (EC) No. 852/2004 Hygiene of Foodstuffs

Approval will not be given unless the required standards are met.

Food businesses must not commence any business activity which requires approval, unless they have received conditional or full approval for the proposed activity from our Food Safety team. To commence business without approval is an offence for which the business is likely to be prosecuted.

How to apply for approval

You can apply online for food premises approval. 

There is no charge for this.


There are some exemptions from the requirement to be approved.

Food businesses that only supply food of animal origin directly to the final consumer, i.e. the person who eats the food product, are exempt.

There may also be an exemption based on the extent to which the business wishes to supply food of animal origin to other businesses.

You should contact our Food Safety team to determine whether you could claim an exemption.

However if a business is exempt it must be registered as a food premises at least 28 days before opening.

Contact our Food Safety team

Related links