Join the library for free and get access to all of our great services.
Become a member
You can join at any age – the younger the better! – but if you're under 16 don’t forget you need an adult to sign to say it's OK for you to join.
If you're over 16 you must provide one proof of name and address.
Acceptable Proofs of ID:
- Driving licence
- Bank statement*
- Utilities bill *
- Pension/ benefits bill
- Doctor's prescription
- Other official letters*
* must be no more than 3 months old
You'll usually be able to borrow books straight away.
All our libraries have computers you can use, with free internet access and Microsoft Office Software. All of our libraries also have free Wi-Fi.
What we ask of you when you join the library
- To bring your library card with you when you borrow books from the library or when you want to use the ICT facilities.
- To bring your borrowed items back on time - you'll have to pay a charge for items brought back late.
- To be responsible for items that are borrowed on your card - you'll be charged for any items that are lost or damaged.
- Your library card must not be used by anyone else.
What can I borrow and for how long?
You can borrow...
- Up to 20 books for three weeks
Extended loan periods are available if you're a student or you're going away on holiday.
You'll be able to use all the resources of the online library service and download audio and eBooks as loans. To find out more you can go to your local library and speak to a member of staff.
Reservations (hold requests)
If the item you require isn't available you can reserve it free of charge:
You will need your library card number and PIN to place holds. Once your requested item is ready to collect we will let you know by phone or email.
It's possible to get items that aren't available in Wrexham libraries by using the interlibrary loans service; there may be a fee for this service.
You can also fill in our order and collect form to:
- order items before you have a library membership - when your order is ready to collect please bring proof of your name and address to collect your card and order
- request recommendations for books you may like (in a particular genre or topic for example) if you do not have a specific title in mind
Large print/audio books
We have a selection of large print books and audio books in English and Welsh for you to borrow at all our libraries. New titles are added to stock regularly.
Please ask staff for help if you want a particular title and you can't find it on the shelves. If it's available in large print format or audio, we'll do our best to get it for you.
Every library in Wrexham has a collection of books to help carers access information about their caring role. Titles in the collection cover topics ranging from autism and dementia to rights, benefits and the emotional aspects of being a full time carer.
The books can also be loaned from the mobile library as well as the Homelink service.
Books on prescription
Bibliotherapy books are available in all Wrexham libraries. People can sometimes be helped by reading self help material. If GPs think that books can help, they'll give their patient a prescription for a recommended ‘self help’ title. These books can all be borrowed from any library in Wrexham.
We have a collection of books to help adults and children in times of bereavement.
We also have the following collections:
- Polish books
- Parenting collection
Helpful knowledgeable staff at the reference library at Wrexham can offer advice on a wide range of topics, plus free internet access, WiFi and a study area.
Contact us with your enquiry or come in to browse the collection and use our facilities.
You can print PDF files and Microsoft Office files:
- from the computers at any of our libraries (find your local library)
- using the print from anywhere service to collect at any of our libraries (find out how to use the print from anywhere service)
You need a library card and pin to do this. You can register online for a membership card if you do not already have one.
- 20p per A4 page in black and white
- 40p per A4 page in colour
We are unable to print any other sizes. You can pay by card or cash at the counter at Wrexham library and cash only in all other libraries.
We also offer...
- Enquiry service
- Self service photocopying – colour A4 and A3 sizes
- Wrexham County Borough Council information
- Which? reports
- Local history information
- Areas for study
- All of our libraries also have free Wi-Fi
Learning with Wrexham libraries
If you're keen to learn for your own pleasure, attending a more formal course, or simply doing your homework, Wrexham Library Service is here to help.
There are 12 public libraries in Wrexham plus a mobile library and Homelink service, which cover a wide range of opening hours.
Library staff are experienced in dealing with a broad range of enquiries and can guide you to the appropriate resources to support your learning needs. Our libraries can provide you with language packs, factual DVDs, textbooks and college prospectuses.
Our Homelink service is for people who live in Wrexham County, are housebound and have no one to collect books on their behalf.