Apply for Funded Early Education
All Wrexham children are entitled to 10 hours of Funded Early Education a week, starting from the term following their third birthday, as part of the Childcare Offer in Wales.
To be eligible your child must have reached the age of three before the term they are due to start, and live in Wrexham County Borough. Funded Early Education is only available in spring and summer terms (term start dates may vary in different settings).
What is the offer?
You can access up to 30 hours per week of combined Funded Early Education or Nursery Education and government-funded childcare, for up to 48 weeks of the year.
This Funded Early Education element forms 10 hours of the 30 hour offer.
Securing a Funded Early Education place does not give you an automatic nursery place in a Wrexham school. You must apply for a nursery place separately.
When and how can I apply for Funded Early Education?
For children who have reached the age of three before the start of spring term, a funded place will be provided for both the spring and summer terms. For children with birthdays in the spring term a funded place will be provided for the summer term.
If your child is eligible for both spring and summer terms you can apply from September 1, 2023. You’ll need to apply by October 27, 2023 to be offered a place starting in spring term (January) 2024.
If your child is eligible just for the summer term you can apply from October 30, 2023. You’ll need to apply by December 29, 2023, to be offered a place starting in summer term (April) 2024.
Both intakes will remain open but any applications received after the above closing dates will be late applications.
You can apply now for Funded Early Education.
Give your child the best start
In Wrexham we are committed to giving our youngest children the best possible start in education. Children in Funded Early Education learn through play - in line with the Curriculum for Funded Non-Maintained Nursery Settings in Wales.
Research in Wrexham has proven that children in Funded Early Education at age three go on to achieve higher outcomes, at the end of year six, than those who do not take up the offer.
Benefits of Funded Early Education for your child include...
- learning new skills
- growing in confidence
- finding out and problem solving
- exploring and using technology
- developing independence
- developing creativity and imagination
- learning to speak Welsh
- making friends
- having lots of fun indoors and outdoors
How it works
Your child can have a place in a funded setting for either:
- Five sessions a week, one per day, of two hours duration, or
- Four sessions per week, one per day, of two and a half hours duration
This will depend on what the approved setting of your choice provides.
An approved setting is funded to deliver Early Education for three year olds and may be one of the following:
- Private day nursery
- Nursery class or early years unit in a local school
Funded Early Education Funding
You can only apply for a funded place at one setting. Funding is paid directly to the setting.
Settings who receive funding...
- Must have appropriately qualified staff
- Will be inspected by ESTYN and Care Inspectorate Wales(CIW)
- Must provide the stated sessions
- Receive regular training
Approved Wrexham settings
- Cylch Meithrin Bro Alun
- Ysgol Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog
- Cylch Meithrin Min y Ddol
- Cylch Meithrin Summerhill
- Cylch Meithrin Plas Coch
- Cylch Meithrin I D Hooson
- Ysgol Bodhyfryd
- Ysgol Cynddelw
- Cylch Llan y Pwll
- Cylch Bryn Tabor
- ABC Rhostyllen
- Acorns Playgroup
- Acton Childcare
- Bangor On Dee Childcare
- Black Lane School
- Borderbrook AVC School
- Borras Park Full Day Care
- Bradley Playgroup
- Brynteg CP School
- Bwlchgwyn CP School
- Caego and Berse Day Nursery
- Cefn Mawr Playgroup
- Cherry Hill Children’s Day Nursery
- Pentre CIW VC Primary School
- Chirk Pre-School Playgroup
- Dragons Daycare Tanyfron
- Eyton CIW VC Primary School
- Froncysyllte CP School
- Garden Village
- Garth CP School
- All Saints CIW VA School
- Gwenfro Primary School
- Happy Days Coedpoeth Playgroup
- Heulfan Early Education
- Holt Under 5’s Playgroup
- Homestead Day Nursery
- Kiddies World Children’s Centre
- Little Scholars Nursery
- Little Sunflowers
- Marford Little Explorers
- Minera CIW VA School
- Mother Goose Nursery
- New Broughton Full Day Childcare
- Overton Playcentre CIO
- Penycae Childcare Playgroup
- Peter Pan Nursery
- Playland Day Nursery
- Redbrook Day Nursery
- Rise and Shine Day Nursery
- Rossett House Nursery
- Sparkles Day Nursery
- St. Anne’s Catholic Primary
- St. Chads CIW VA School
- St. Giles Early Education
- St. Mary’s Playgroup Wrexham
- St. Mary’s CIW VA School, Brymbo
- St. Paul's CIW VA School
- Treasure Chest Llay Playgroup
- Victoria Gems, Jewels and Treasures
- Ysgol Cae’r Gwenyn
- Ysgol Maes y Llan
- Ysgol Maes y Mynydd
- Ysgol Yr Hafod Johnstown
- Wat’s Dyke CP School