The Welsh Government funded School Essentials Grant is available to help towards the costs of a child’s school uniform and equipment, for those on a low income.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year (based on the year group your child is entering in September 2023) until May 31, 2024.
Please submit only one application, if needed you can add multiple children to the same application (duplicate submissions may delay the processing of your grant).
Children entering year 7 receive £200 and children in all other school years, from reception through to year 11, receive £125.
Any child eligible for free school meals, attending school in Wrexham, and in the following year groups is eligible for the grant:
- Entering reception class in primary school
- Entering school years 1 to 11
- In a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 4 to 15
All looked after children are also eligible, regardless of their free school meals status.
If it has been over 12 months since you were last assessed for free school meals, (or your circumstances have changed) you will need to reapply for free school meals first.
Once you have had confirmation of your eligibility, you can then apply for this grant.
What the grant can be used for
The grant can be used to pay towards the cost of:
- school uniform
- school sports kit
- uniform for wider activities (for example sports, scouts and guides)
- equipment (such as school bags and stationery)
- specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin (such as design and technology)
- equipment for out of school hours trips (such as waterproofs for outdoor learning)
- laptop or tablet device
How will I receive the grant?
The grant is paid by BACS Transfer to your bank account.
You can email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions about this grant.