If you’re ambitious and forward-thinking, then Wrexham Council could be the perfect place for you. As a high-performing council, and one of the largest employers in the area, we aim for innovation and excellence in everything we do.
We have a workforce of around 5,500 in a wide range of roles. We rely on our employees to deliver high quality services and in return we offer rewarding career opportunities.
We are committed to developing our bilingual workforce and welcome applications from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
We welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates regardless of race, gender, disability, sexuality, religious belief, or age.
As a Disability Confident Committed Employer we have committed to:
- ensuring our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible
- offering an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- anticipating and providing reasonable adjustments as required
- supporting any existing employee who acquires a disability or long term health condition, enabling them to stay in work
Armed Forces Covenant Commitments
Veterans are offered a guaranteed interview, provided that the following criteria are met:
- the Armed Forces is your last long term employer
- no more than 3 years has elapsed since you left the Armed Forces
- the veteran meets the essential criteria for the advertised role
This scheme does not guarantee a role for veterans, as the council normal selection procedures will be followed. Any appointment is based on merit and on criteria based on the job description and person specification.
These are some of the benefits of being a council employee…
Local Government Pension Scheme
The Local Government Pension Scheme is a valuable part of the pay and reward package for our employees.
Ten benefits of being an LGPS member:
- Pension contributions are deducted from your pay before tax so you receive tax relief
- No hidden charges or administration fees
- Your employer contributes too
- Option for you to pay extra pension contributions to increase your annual pension or lump sum amount at retirement
- You can retire between the ages of 55 and 75
- Ill health protections at any age
- Annual pension payable for life when you retire and it increases in line with cost of living each April
- Option to create a tax free lump sum at retirement
- Death Grant to be paid to your loved ones
- Survivors’ pensions payable to spouse/partner and any eligible children
If you’re employed for three months or more, you’ll automatically join the Local Government Pension Scheme. You could also increase your retirement benefits by paying additional voluntary contributions.
We recognise that people need to balance their work and home commitments and may prefer to work different hours and working patterns.
We aim to offer flexible hours, with the possibility of arranging job-sharing, term-time working or compressed working hours.
We also offer flexible working arrangements, like remote working, that strike the right balance between meeting the needs of our employees and our customers.
Family friendly policies
We can help employees with caring and family commitments by providing dependent care leave and compassionate leave.
A minimum of 23 days annual leave are given, increasing with your length of service to a maximum of 31 days (plus 8 bank holidays per year). You could also gain ‘flexi-days’, building up time to take off by working extra hours.
We also provide enhanced maternity, adoption and paternity leave, and benefits.
Trade union membership
We have agreements with nationally recognised trade unions who represent their members.
Health and well-being
You will have access to a flexible range of benefits that support your health and well-being. These include support from an Occupational Health service; ‘Care First’ our employee assistance programme and, dependent on length of service, sick pay.
Also available to you are retail and leisure discounts, tools to support financial health and a cycle to work scheme through our Wrexham Council Rewards offer.
You could get a reduced rate membership at some of our local gyms and leisure centres.
Learning, training and development
We offer a wide variety of opportunities to learn, train and develop so that you’ll have the confidence, skills and knowledge to work effectively and reach your full potential.
Our philosophy is to support Wrexham and enable everyone to fulfil their potential, prosper and achieve a high standard of well-being. That goes for our workforce too.
If you’d like to work for us, take a look at our vacancies to see if we have any roles that would suit you.