Birth registration

Do I have to legally register my child’s birth?

Yes. Under the Births and Deaths Registration Act 1953 all births are to be registered.

Will I be safe and be able to social distance during my appointment?

Yes.  Your appointment will be held in a safe environment reducing any risks to you or the Registrar.  A clean station will available and anti-bacterial hand gel and disposable gloves are provided for your use.

If you or any one in your household are showing any symptoms of Covid-19 as outlined in the Public Health Wales advice, you will be unable to register at  this time.

Will there be toilet and baby changing facilities available?


Is my appointment confidential?

Yes.  The appointment is held in a private room.  Confidential statistical data is gathered as required by law but this is not shared in the public domain.

Do I have to bring my baby to the appointment, what paperwork do I need?

No, you are not required to bring your child to the appointment.

Please however, bring along your red book ensuring that you have the NHS number available.  You can bring identification also, especially if you have an unusual spelling of names.

What information will I need when registering?

  • place and date of the birth
  • name, surname and sex of the baby
  • parents’ names, surnames and address
  • places and dates of parents’ birth
  • date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership
  • parents’ jobs
  • mother’s maiden surname

I am not married to the baby’s father, what do I do?

If you wish for the father’s details to be entered onto the child’s registration, then you will need to have a joint registration where the father will also attend the appointment at the same time.

I am in a same sex relationship, but not married or in a civil partnership, can my partner’s details be included on the certificate?

Yes, they can be seen as the child’s second parent if both of you have been treated in the UK by a licensed clinic, and have made a ‘parenthood agreement’.  

However, for both parents details to be recorded you must do one of the following;  register the birth jointly, complete a statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage form and bring it to the appointment, or get a document from the court giving the second female parent parental responsibility.

I do not wish to have the father’s details on the birth registration, what do I do?

A single registration will be taken, where the father’s details will remain blank.  If you wish to include the father’s details at a later date then a re-registration form will be required and another appointment made where both parents will need to attend.  However, please be advised that the father can seek a court order allowing his details to be entered if you were not to grant permission.

I am married / in a civil partnership, do both of us have to attend?

No.  As you are married / in a civil partnership only one of you are required to attend.

We are a female same sex married couple / civil partners, how do our details show on our child’s certificate?

If the baby was conceived during the marriage / civil partnership and that agreement was not withdrawn at any time, then the birth mother will show as ‘Mother’ and the second parent will show as ‘parent’ on the certificate.

We are a male same sex married couple / civil partners, how can we be registered as parents?

You will be required to obtain a parental order from the court before you can be registered as parents.

Do I have to pay for certificates?

Yes, all certificates cost £11.