Due to the demands on the service, certificate copies are only available for births, marriages or deaths that have taken place and been registered in the last 6 months. Any requests that fall after the 6 month period will need to be made direct to the General Register Office.

You can order a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate from the General Register Office.

Online: GOV.UK: Order a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate (external link)

By phone: 0300 123 1837

Costs of certificates/payment

Birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates cost £12.50 each.

Certificates ordered will be posted to the address on the application form, from 10 working days after placing the order.

Extra service fees

All short birth certificates issued at time of registration£12.50
Consideration by a superintendent registrar of a divorce/civil partnership dissolution obtained outside of the British Isles£55
Consideration by the Registrar General of a divorce/civil partnership dissolution obtained outside of the British Isles£83
Letter provided by the Registrar General confirming that, on the basis of information provided, no record of a marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales has been found within a 10 year search period (for example if required when getting married or forming a civil partnership outside England or Wales)£55 (per 10 year search)

Fees for corrections to the initial registration

Forename added within 12 months of birth registration£44
Consideration by registrar / superintendent registrar of a correction application£83
Consideration by the Registrar General of a correction application£99

Payment methods

You can call 01978 298997 to pay by debit/credit card.

We do not recommend you send any financial or personal details by email.

Divorce decrees

You can get a copy of your divorce papers from the court where the divorce was processed.

If your divorce took place in Wrexham you can request a copy of the decree absolute from:

Wrexham County Court
The Magistrates' Court
LL12 7BP
Tel: 01978 317400

National Divorce Records
First Avenue
42-49 High Holborn
Tel: 020 7947 6051

If you have any questions about applying for copies of certificates you can contact our register office by emailing registration@wrexham.gov.uk or by calling 01978 298997.