The aim of the scheme is to increase long term participation in physical activity and sport by raising awareness of the benefits exercise and healthy lifestyles have to young people and their families.
The scheme targets to make exercise more accessible and affordable to individuals and is open to young people aged 8-16 years with 'low risk' medical, emotional or mental health difficulties. The scheme aims to provide the opportunity for any young person who falls into this category to participate in physical activity and sport if it is believed physical activity will have a positive impact in their life.
- To provide sustainable exercise opportunities for young people on the scheme.
- Assessment of individual clients needs, offering continued advice and continued support.
- Encouragement of individuals to address life style issues
- Evaluate and monitor the scheme and it's effect on individuals
- Develop links between referral partners and the council's leisure services.
The scheme is open to young people aged 8-16 years with one or more of the following 'low risk' medical conditions and their 'low risk' emotional difficulties:
- Diabetes (controlled)
- Eating Disorders
- Obsessional Compulsive Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Low Self Esteem
- Anxiety Disorders
- Specific Conditions affecting motor skill development
Referral Partners work with the young person and their parent / guardian to complete a 'recommendation form' detailing medical history, personal details and a brief reason for the recommendation.
These details are then forwarded to the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator who will then arrange for the relevant action to be taken to ensure the young person is introduced to the Sports and Physical Activities on the Activ8-2-16 Timetable.
What Happens Next?
Recommendation from Referral Partner
- The Activ8-2-16 Coordinator will receive a 'Recommendation Form' from a Referral Partner
- Referral Partners include: CAMHS, Paediatric Occupational Therapy, School Nurse, Occupational Therapist, TAC Officer, Physiotherapist
Activ8-2-16 Coordinator will contact Referral
- An initial letter will be sent to the Referral with details of how to book a meeting with the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator
- If there is no response from the Referral after two weeks, the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator will attempt to contact the referral
Meeting with Activ8-2-16 Coordinator
- After contacting the Activ8-2-16 coordinator, a meeting will be booked where referral will decide on the session(s) the Referral wants to participate in.
- Meetings can take place either before the start of the session(s) of choice or in a place of convenience.
Referral will participate in session
- The Referral will take part in the session(s) with the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator introducing the Referral to the Coaches / Instructors and other children at the session.
- After 6 weeks of participation, the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator will ask for feedback about the session(s) and scheme.
Timetable of Activities
|Junior Gym (Age 11 Plus)||4.00pm – 5.00pm||Gwyn Evans Leisure Centre|
|Swimming (Beginner/Intermediate)||5.00pm – 6.00pm||Clywedog Leisure Centre|
|Swimming(Beginner/Intermediate)||5.30pm – 6.15pm||Plas Madoc Leisure Centre|
|Tuesday||Junior Gym (Age 11 Plus)||4.00pm – 5.00pm||Queensway Leisure Centre|
|Football||4.30pm – 5.15pm||Queensway Leisure Centre|
|Judo||5.00pm – 6.00pm||Activ8 Gym Bradley|
|Junior Gym (Age 11 Plus)||5.00pm – 6.00pm||Activ8 Gym Bradley|
|Swimming Under 8 ’s (Beginner)||5.30pm – 6.15pm||Plas Madoc Leisure Centre|
|Wednesday||Dodgeball||5.00pm – 5.45pm||Gresford Memorial Hall|
|Swimming Under 8's (beginner)||4.30pm – 5.00pm||Rhosnesni Leisure Centre|
|Swimming (intermediate)||5.00pm – 5.45pm||Rhosnesni Leisure Centre|
|Swimming (advanced)||5.45pm - 6.30pm||Rhosnesni Leisure Centre|
|Thursday||Junior Gym (11+)||4.00pm - 5.00pm||Queensway Leisure Centre|
|Swimming (Beginner/Intermediate)||4.00pm – 5.00pm||Waterworld Leisure Centre|
|Football (Age 11 Plus)||4.15pm – 5.15pm||Ysgol Morgan Llwyd|
|Multi skills||5.15pm – 6.00pm||Plas Madoc Leisure Centre|
|Saturday||Tennis||12.00pm - 1.00pm||Wrexham Tennis Centre|
|Sunday||Junior Gym (Age 11 Plus)||11.00am – 12.00pm||Gwyn Evans Leisure Centre|
Cost and duration of the recommendation period
Most activities are provided as part of the scheme free of charge for a 6 week programme. However, where a third party provides those activities a small charge may be applicable.
During the recommendation period the young person will attend a structured session of activity that will last for 6 weeks.
All the coaches / instructors involved on the scheme are fully qualified; police checked and have received training in child protection issues.
All participants and parent / guardians will receive information on the programme after meeting with the Activ8-2-16 Coordinator.