Children involved in the following entertainment types, may need a performance licence and a licenced chaperone: 

  • TV
  • film
  • theatre
  • modelling
  • dance shows
  • pantos
  • amateur dramatics
  • music groups 
  • paid sport (whether professional or amateur) 

If a child is involved in a performance or event that needs a performance licence then they must be supervised by a council-approved chaperone – unless they are in the care of their parent, legal guardian or, in certain circumstances, a teacher.

You are legally required to get a licence when one is needed and you must apply for a chaperone licence at least 6 weeks before the performance date. 

Any person who causes or arranges for any child to do anything that breaches the licensing legislation can be prosecuted (whether a child is performing under licence or not, the same duty of care applies).

A chaperone's first duty is to the child in their care. They are responsible for safeguarding, supporting and promoting the wellbeing of the child, and must not engage in any activity that would interfere with their duties.

The registration process

To register as a chaperone in Wrexham you must:

  • complete the application form
  • provide one passport-sized photograph
  • attend an interview
  • provide satisfactory recommendations from two referees
  • hold an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS/CRB) certificate issued within the last 3 years
  • attend a mandatory chaperone training and safeguarding course

Apply for a chaperone licence

Start now


Applications may be subject to a fee, this will be discussed when you contact us.

Further guidance

Contact our child employment team

If you have any questions please email