Children involved in the following entertainment types, may need a performance licence and a licenced chaperone

  • TV
  • film
  • theatre
  • modelling
  • dance shows
  • pantos
  • amateur dramatics
  • music groups 
  • paid sport (whether professional or amateur) 

You are legally required to get a licence when one is needed and you must apply for a child performance licence at least 15 days before the performance date. 

Any person who causes or arranges for any child to do anything that breaches the licensing legislation can be prosecuted (whether a child is performing under licence or not, the same duty of care applies).

When is a child performance licence needed?

You must get a licence for any child from birth up to the end of their compulsory education (defined as the last Friday in June in the academic year in which they turn 16):

  • When a charge is made in connection with the performance (this applies whether the performers are paid or not)
  • When the performance takes place at licensed premises or a registered club
  • When the performance is recorded to be broadcast or exhibited (for example on TV, radio, film, internet)

Apply for a license

This application is for children living in Wrexham County Borough (you must apply for the licence through the local authority where the child lives).  

Please email to request a child performance licence application form.


These exemptions do not apply to paid sport or paid modelling.

An exemption will only apply where no payment for child taking part in the performance is made to the child or another person, other than expenses.

The exemptions are:

1.    The 4 day rule 

If a child has not performed on more than 3 days in the last 6 months, they will not need a licence for performance on a fourth day. However, if a child will be absent from school this exemption does not apply and they will need a license. 

2.    Body of Persons Approval (BOPA) 

In some cases, the organiser of a performance involving children can apply for a BOPA.

3.    Performances organised by a school

This does not include dance or drama schools, who must apply for licences where necessary.  

Apply for an exemption

Please email to request an exemption application form.

Body Of Person Approval (BOPA)

A BOPA covers all children in one approval, which removes the need to apply for an individual licence for each child.

Any organisation can apply for a BOPA, as long as no child is paid. It is granted to the organisation that is responsible for the performance.  

As the local authority, the decision whether to issue a BOPA is at our discretion.

Apply for a BOPA

This application is for performances in Wrexham County Borough (you must apply to the local authority where the performance is taking place).

Start now

Further guidance

Contact our child employment team

If you have any questions please email