If you provide unpaid care to someone who cannot cope without your support due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction, you are an unpaid carer. The person you support could be a family member, friend or neighbour. 

There is lots of support, advice and information available to you as an unpaid carer. 

Carer’s needs assessments 

If you care for someone, you can have an assessment to see what might help make your life easier. This is called a ‘carer’s assessment’, and will include a 'what matters conversation’ – you can find out more about what this approach means on Social Care Wales (external link)

You are legally entitled to a carer’s needs assessment regardless of:

  • the amount or type of care you provide, your financial means, or the level of support you need
  • whether or not you live with the person who you care for 

If you are sharing caring responsibilities with anyone else, including a child under 18, each of you are entitled to an assessment in your own right. 

The assessment is an opportunity to discuss what support or services you may need to help with your caring role. 

You can find out all about what a carer’s assessment involves and how you can prepare on the Carers UK website (external link)

Ask for a carer’s assessment

If you want to have an assessment, please contact NEWCIS - North East Wales Carers Information Service (external link) or register with NEWCIS as an unpaid carer (external link).

Respite scheme

‘Bridging the Gap’ is a respite scheme that provides you with a short period of rest from your caring role. A short break from your caring role could include attending a personal appointment, a NEWCIS event or socialising with friends.

Training and activities

Working with a range of organisations, NEWCIS runs a training programme in four key areas: 

  • practical skills
  • emotional support
  • leisure/hobby activities
  • employment support.

Some sessions are aimed at carers having a bit of time to themselves whilst taking part in an enjoyable activity. Others are aimed at carers learning new skills which can make life easier. 

Advice and support services

Adult carers

NEWCIS (North East Wales Carers Information Service) provides information, advice and services for unpaid carers in Wrexham on our behalf. 

NEWCIS offers a range of services tailored to meet individual needs and can let you know about your rights as an unpaid carer. 

Services include information about financial support, an award-winning respite scheme, carer’s needs assessments, counselling, training, peer support groups, GP and hospital support. 

Young carers

WCD Young Carers provide information, advice and emotional support to young carers and young adult carers up to the age of 18 throughout Wrexham, Conwy and Denbighshire. This includes one-to-one support, trips and groups, training and education. 

For more information please contact info@wcdyc.org.uk  


NWAAA are an independent advocacy service who work across Wrexham. They provide advocacy services to people who need extra help to be involved in their care planning and care assessment. 

They can also work with people who are struggling to get their voices heard or make their own choices about life. 

The aim is to help people understand their situation so they can make the best decision for themselves, then to make sure that other people respect and act on that decision made. 

More information

Direct payments

If someone is assessed by social services as being eligible for care and support they can receive a direct payment. This means the person is given the money to set up services themselves rather than the support being provided by social services. Direct payments can be used to pay for a personal assistant – so it may be possible for the person you care for to recruit you as a personal assistant.

Carers can also arrange for the person they look after to stay at home with the support of a direct payment, so they can have a break.